Shelves, one of the most humble additions to your home interior. Though simple looking, they are handy and are a very important part of your home or any living space. Installing a few shelves is a great, fast, and affordable storage solution that can also upgrade the appearance of your interior.
Shelves can be added to your walls or any other vertical surface. They can also be suspended from a ceiling, part of a free-standing frame unit, or part of furnitures like a cabinet, bookcase, and headboards.
What is a floating shelf?
A floating shelf is a type of shelf with its wall fixing hidden within the shelf board, with no visible supporting brackets. This gives the illusion of floating on the wall.
It may seem that installing floating shelves is tricky, but in fact, they are easy to install. Before installing them, you will need to plan where you are hanging the shelf. Install them by attaching the wall bracket with the use of screws provided. The wall bracket usually contains protruding hooks or anchors where the floating shelf slots onto. You can then fit the shelf over the bracket and have it secured in place.
How to style a floating shelf
The good thing about floating shelves is that they can be added in any part of your home, and in any other places where you think they will be of use. Installing some in the bathroom is one of the smart ways to increase the storage area for towels, soaps, candles, and plants. This way, you will be saving some space and avoid cluttering in the room.
Any living space is also filled with in-between spaces that can be fitted with floating shelves. The floating shelves will not only make a great accent to space but will likewise be a perfect area to store some of your stuff.
If you also have your own home office, it may also a good place to add your floating shelves. For instance, with a grouping of floating shelves on the wall above your desk the home office will definitely look stunning and interesting. In addition to that, you will also have extra areas where you can store your books, binders, folders, and other office kinds of stuff.
The nursery, kid’s playroom, and bedroom are also perfect places to add floating shelves. A white floating shelf with typography letters spelling the name of your little one will make their room look chic and stylish. Floating shelves are also perfect where you can style them with books, toys, and artwork. Since their rooms will be the domain of your little ones, be creative and install floating shelves lower to the ground for easy access. Kids can easily get the toys or books they want without asking for your help or assistance.
The kitchen is also a perfect room to add floating shelves. We all know that it is one of the busiest rooms in the house. Kitchen is commonly used for dining and preparing food. Floating shelves in the room can totally help in minimizing or avoiding clutter. You will also have a place to display your kitchen decorative items which will make the room look more appealing.
How to put up a floating shelf
Do you know that you can install floating shelves on your own? You will be surprised to know that this is quite easy.
First, you must have the materials needed:
- retractable tape measure
- electronic wire and pipe detector
- spirit level
- screws or fittings: 50mm screws and plastic Rawlplugs if fixing to concrete or brick, 40mm screws if fixing to wooden joists, or 65mm metal plasterboard anchors if fixing to plasterboard
- Proper plan where and how many shelves you would like. You also need to decide on how high you would want them as well as the space between them. For instance, if you are planning to display books, then the space between them should be at least 30cm.
- Be sure that the area of the wall where you plan to hang the shelves is free from hidden pipes or cables.
- Place the first bracket against the wall with the aid of a spirit level to make sure it’s level. Mark the first-hole positions with a pencil.
- Using the mark you placed, drill holes into the wall. The number of holes depends on the number of screws that you will be needing. It is recommended to choose screws or fittings that are appropriate for the material of the wall. After which, screw the bracket into place.
- Slide the shelf to the bracket and if you are satisfied with the position, slide it back off the bracket to position the rest of the brackets.
- Once all brackets are in place, slide the shelves on and fix into place with the small screws provided with the shelf, using pre-drilled holes on the underside of each shelf.
- You can now add the stuff that you want to be displayed on your floating shelves.